Overworked Americans: 86% of males and 67% of females work more than 40 hours per week.
- If you love your work or are on that grind, you must savor your time away from work. Plan your day, budget time for meals, friends, family and yourself.
- Chronic stress affects a person’s mental health and can correlate with anxiety disorders and depression.
- Lack of sleep has been linked to early onset Alzheimer’s disease.
- Tips to control stress:
- Make a list and take one thing at a time.
- Prepare for your week ahead.
- Healthy lifestyle – get enough rest, exercise, and balance work and play.
Americans are spending less time with the family, 70% of American children live in households where all adults are employed. Spend more quality time with the family, get rid of time wasters, plan quality time for the family, exercise together.
How much sleep should we get?
7-9 hours. Trust your body and prioritize sleep! Do you have enough time in a day to prioritize sleep?
- Stick to your sleep schedule, exercise, turn off electronics, avoid alcohol and caffeine.
- Effects of sleep deprivation: irritability, memory loss, symptoms similar to ADHD, impaired immune system, risk of diabetes type 2, decreased accuracy.
How much exercise should we get?
30 minutes of moderate intensity aerobic activity 5 days a week or 30 minutes of vigorous activity for at least 3 days a week AND muscle-strengthening activity for at least 2 days a week.